- Awarded multi-center G08 grant for development of a data repository
- Awarded multi-center R01 grant to validate the EZCodes dental diagnostic terminology
- Awarded multi-center R01 grant to evaluate patient safety in dentistry “Developing a patient safety system for dentistry” This project aims to reduce patient harm, and improve the quality of care delivered in dentistry. As a long-term goal, it is important to understand the causes of dental adverse events and develop interventions to minimize their occurrence. The objective of this project is to develop the tools necessary to document dental adverse events, generate a classification scheme and repository that can help organize and link adverse events, and allow five dental organizations to begin to systematically collect and analyze adverse events.
- Awarded ADA Gies Award grant “Collaborative pilot study of the impact of the use of the EZCodes dental diagnostic terminology in treatment planning on critical thinking skills of dental students as measured by the Health Science Reasoning Test” The purpose of this project is to investigate whether or not the introduction and use of the dental diagnostic terminology (EZCodes) in treatment planning per the electronic health record (axiUm) can positively impact dental students’ critical thinking skills. This is a collaborative effort between the Medical University of South Carolina, Harvard and UT Houston.
- Stark, P.C., Kalenderian, E., White, J.W., Walji, M.F. Stewart, D.C.L., Kimmes, N.S., Meng, Jr., T.R., Willis, J.P., DeVries, T., Chapman R.J. for the Consortium for Oral Health-Related Informatics (COHRI). Consortium for Oral Health-Related Informatics: Improving Dental Research, Education, and Treatment. J Dent Educ. 2010 74: 1051-1065. PMID: 20930236 PMCID: PMC3114442 View PDF
- Kalenderian, E., Ramoni, R., White, J.M., Schoonheim-Klein, M.E., Stark, P.C., Kimmes, N.S., Zeller, G.G., Willis, G.P., Walji, M.F. The Development of a Dental Diagnostic Terminology. J Dent Educ. 2011 Jan;75(1):68-76. PMID: 21205730 PMCID: PMC3107733 View PDF
- White, J.M., Kalenderian, E., Stark, P.C., Ramoni, R., Vaderhobli, R., Walji, M.F. Evaluating a Dental Diagnostic Terminology in an Electronic Health Record. J Dent Educ. 2011 May;75(5):605-15. PMID: 21546594 PMCID: PMC3119719 View PDF
- Kalenderian E, Ramoni R.B., White J.M., Schoonheim-Klein M.E., Stark P.C., Kimmes N.S., Patel V.L., Walji M.F. The importance of using diagnostic codes. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radio Endod. 2011 Jul;112(1):4-5. PMID: 21669360 View PDF
- Ramoni, R.B.*, Walji, M.F.*, White, J.M., Stewart, D.C.L., Vaderhobli, R., Simmons, D., Kalenderian, E. From Good to Better: Towards a Patient Safety Initiative in Dentistry. JADA 2012; 143(9):956-960. View PDF
- Tokede, O.*, Walji, M.F.*, Ramoni, R., Schoonheim-Klein, M.E., White, J.M., Vaderhobli, R., Stark, P.C., Kimmes, N.S., Patel, V., Kalenderian, E. Treatment planning in dentistry using an electronic health record: implications for undergraduate education. European Journal of Dental Education. Published online 5/18/2012. DOI: 10.1111/j.1600-0579.2012.00759. View PDF
- Tokede, O.*, White, J.M.*, Stark, P.C., Vaderhobli, R., Walji, M.F., Ramoni, R., Schoonheim-Klein, M.E., Kimmes, N.S., Tavares, A., Kalenderian, E. Assessing the use of a standardized dental diagnostic terminology in an electronic health record J Dent Educ. March 2012. In Press. View PDF
- Walji, M.F.*, Kalenderian, E.*, Tran, D., Kookal, K.K., Nguyen, V., Tokede, O., White J.M., Vaderhobli, R., Ramoni, R., Stark, P.C., Kimmes N.S., Schoonheim-Klein M.E., and Patel, V. Detection and characterization of usability problems in structured data entry interfaces in dentistry. International Journal of Medical Informatics. 2012 Jun 29. In Press. PMID: 22749840 PMCID: PMC3492538. View PDF